Gain insights and tools. Become certified.
For: Accomplished entrepreneurs, board members, investors, business advisors, or business coaches
Duration: 5 days (March, April)
Fee: Eur 4.750 (ex VAT)
Start: March 2019
Hours: 09:00 – 18:00 (+ 2 evening sessions)
Scale your impact as a Board Member
The number of scale-ups is expanding. Consequently, there has been an increasing demand from scale-ups for experienced advice and guidance.
Are you ready to help scale-ups grow, as board member or business coach? Do you have what it takes?
ScaleUpNation will equip you with the right tools, attitude, and mindset. Moreover, you will gain certification as a qualified scale-up board member.
What will you learn?
Scale-ups pursue high risk, innovative strategies and drive in the fast lane. We will teach you how to make a positive difference as a scale-up board member. During the program you will get the latest empirical research in terms of board dynamics and operations. You’ll get concrete answers to questions like:
- How to diagnose the company’s position and operations?
- How to set and measure (new) growth objectives?
- How to help the founder in her transition to become CEO?
- How to manage the VC relationship?
- How to earn trust as a coach and advisor?
- How to anticipate looming board conflicts and mitigate these?
“The passion, energy, and execution by the ScaleUpNation team – excellent!” – Harm-Jan Wessels, CEO Forcare
Marieke van Wel-Stoffels
Scale-up founder and pervious CFO Guidion
“I learned a lot about the different perspectives of all stakeholders around a scale-up, about the patterns that you see in development, and about the typical challenges that scale-ups face. And, at least as important, the group was inspiring, fun and of a very high level. Great experience!”
CEO GAP technology
“The true value of the Board Program for me was the ability to share and learn from other people that are doing the same work but in different ways. Having been on 40+ boards, I have developed a very specific style and it was refreshing to hear other perspectives on how to contribute and add value as a board member.”
Partner, Spring Associates
“For me the Board Program was an excellent journey to come to the realization that an effective board member is not about constantly showing and presenting “expertise and experience” but that it is about asking the CEO and his/her team the right questions – that you can only ask when having the right experience. The class really challenged us in the traditional role thinking, the format was a nice balance between theory and practice.|
Nature of the Program
The program is experiential, not lecture-based.
The focus is on discovering insights rather than providing outright facts.
This is achieved through case-based group work, carefully chosen expert sessions, peer to peer learning, eye-openers and playful exploration.
The program content is based on unique insights coming from ScaleUpNation’s Art of Scaling – created through research on +500.000 ventures and based on experience in supporting 100 scale-ups. A perspective on the role board members play in the scaling journey can be read here.
“ScaleUpNation is THE source for leading edge thinking and tools on how to scale a business.” Bas Verhart, Founder DFFRNT Media
Experts and Presenters
Menno van Dijk
Managing Partner, SET Ventures
Professor Corporate Governance, Nijenrode Business University.
Bram de Zwart
Co-founder and CEO 3D Hubs
Business Analytics Manager Adyen
Jan Paul Grollé
Governance and Case Development
Entrepreneur and Board Member
Board Members have completed the training course, with many assuming roles at scale-ups post program.
What are you getting into?
- What is a scale-up? Success factors and failures?
- What is required to be a scale-up board member?
- Legal aspects and governance
9:00 – 21:00
Demystifying the Growth Engine
- It’s not about the topline
- Funding and investment schemes
- Addressing the company’s growth agenda
9:00 – 18:00
- Management biases
- Remuneration and incentives
- Operational decisions
9:00 – 21:00
- Build confidence in the CEO to think courageously challenge conventions
- Strategic leaps. Help recognize opportunities and make strategic bets
- Understand board roles across the three horizons of growth.
9:00 – 18:00
Dealing with Headwind
- Business Intelligence and warning signals
- Acting on dilemmas and crisis
- Resilience. Provide a mirror on leadership effectiveness
9:00 – 21:00
Program is subject to change.
- You are an accomplished entrepreneur, board member, investor, business advisor, or business coach
- The group is individually put together through a selection process to ensure that you experience the most impactful learning. Participation is therefore determined by application.
Sander van der Blonk
T: +31 6 506 1111 5
The fee for the Board Proram is EUR 4.750. exclusive VAT. Fee includes:
- 5 full days of training
- All materials, meals and refreshment
- Certification as qualified scale-up Board Member upon completion of course work
- Access to the ScaleUpNation community of investors, advisors, researchers and ventures
Our Principles of Engagement
Scaling a venture is hard, complex, explorative, and experimental. Scale-up masters are experienced practitioners as well as lifelong learners. Our programs are designed to meet their needs, delivering:
- International best-in-class faculty (in strategy, practice, and coaching)
- Proprietary research-based insights
- Master-level programming
- Serious leadership development