There is a high demand for experienced board members who know what it takes to scale. A scale-up is not a large start-up – to grow from a team of about 15 to a scale-up of 100+ employees, a company needs to transform itself. Do you have what it takes to support a leadership team through this journey?
In ScaleUpBoard you will:
- Build the skills toolbox you need to facilitate growth
- Learn from an experienced network of faculty
- Join a life-long community of peers
Join the next class, starting in February 2022 in Amsterdam.
What the program looks like
- What is scale-up? Success factors and failures?
- What is required to be a scale-up board member?
- Legal aspects and governance
February 1 (Thursday)
9:00 – 17:00
- It’s not about the topline
- Funding and investment schemes
- Addressing the company’s growth agenda
February 11 (Friday)
9:00 – 17:00
- Business Intelligence and warning signals
- Acting on dilemmas and crisis
- Resilience. Provide a mirror on leadership effectiveness
March 11 (Friday)
9:00 – 17:00
- Management biases
- Remuneration and incentives
- Operational decisions
March 31 (Thursday)
9:00 – 17:00
- Build confidence in the CEO to think courageously
- Help recognize opportunities and make strategic bets
- Understand board roles across the three horizons of growth
April 1 (Friday)
9:00 – 17:00
Want more details?
The Board Experts
Our faculty knows scale-up board dynamics in-and-out
Jolanda's mission is to make people aware of their own authentic strength. As a trainer, coach and moderator, Jolanda has worked with hundreds of women to make their ambitions visible and find their personal mission. She is the author of the book “From your heart to success”, and is the founder of the Lof Academy, where she helps companies like Accenture, PWC, Post NL, or DNB further develop the potential of their female talent. She is also a change leader at Better Future, a global leadership and strategy consultancy. In 2016 she joined the board of the World Press Photo foundation.
Jolanda has experience as both the board member and the CEO, which allows us to put herself in their shoes and understand both perspectives. She knows how to touch people's hearts and inspire them to take on their personal leadership for a meaningful world, which she tries to do with ScaleUpBoard participants as the program director.
- Jan Paul’s career has been focused on digital transformation for over 20 years, in roles that ranged from journalist, to intrapreneur, to senior global executive. His experience in the scientific publishing industry revealed to him the limitations in traditional governance practices, but also the opportunities to improve. So he went on to become an independent coach on innovation and leadership. In 2015 he joined Rockstart as Program Director of “Renew the Book”, an international startup accelerator. He also joined THNK, the School for Creative Leadership, as an enterprise coach, guiding participants on their individual innovation projects.
At ScaleUpNation his focus is on internal investor relations and stakeholder management. His role is to guide participants through the program using a business case, a practical simulation of being in different boards.
- Willemijn is the founder and CEO of SwipeGuide, a next-generation platform for instruction software. Prior to founding SwipeGuide, she gained years of experience in consulting (EY, VODW, TOTE-M) and teaching (Beeckestijn Business School). She is also a member of the Forbes Technology Council, an invitation-only community for successful entrepreneurs and executives.
In ScaleUpBoard, Willemijn will share her current challenges as a founder and CEO, and explore with participants how they can provide the most value in each specific case as a board member.
- Leen is passionate about solving complex problems that prevent our society from moving forward. He has more than two decades of experience in different roles and companies, including KLM, Erasmus University, KPMG, PWC, and several different Dutch governmental institutions (Ministerie van Infrastructuur & Milieu, Ministerie van Defensie, Gemeente Rotterdam, etc). He served as dean to the Nyenrode University for 6 years, where is currently a professor of Corporate Governance Leen is responsible for the academic content of Nyenrode's Board & Governance programs.
His expertise is on the governance aspect of being a board member, and that’s what he brings to the ScaleUpBoard program.
- Rutger is the founder and owner of GoFastForward, a network of +250 ambitious scale-ups. Previously, he was a consultant at different firms (Boer & Croon, Meyer Monitor), Business Development Manager at BA Group, and an associate partner at The Future Firm.
Rutger is an expert on strategy, culture, and entrepreneurship. In ScaleUpBoard, he will offer his advice to participants on what to do when they run into board challenges, based on his own experience as a founder.
- Wouter worked at ABN-AMRO for more than one decade, becoming Senior Vice President responsible for Corporate Brand & Reputation Management. In 2002 he started his own strategy consulting business, Triple Value, where he was a managing partner. He joined the board team of different foundations and companies, including the WakaWaka Foundation and Energietransitiefonds Rotterdam. In 2010 he became a partner at Steward Redqueen, a specialized consultancy focused on impact and sustainability.
Wouter’s expertise lies in sustainability, socially conscious investment, impact assessment, and corporate governance. In the ScaleUpBoard program his focus will be on sustainability in the boardroom. He will facilitate discussions on the topic of sustainability in scale-ups, and how it plays with commercial goals.
We have certified 135+ board members,
many assuming roles at scale-ups
Johan van MilManaging Partner, Peak Capital
“I really enjoyed taking part of the Board Program because it helps you to get better alignment with other investors and board members. As you do a lot of peer coaching, I got good insights into their motivation plus some good feedback on our own.”
Michael HilbFounder & CEO, DBP Group
“The group was a great mix of backgrounds, industries, corporates, scale-ups and start-ups. I now have a much better understanding of what it takes to be a board director. I understand how complex scale-ups are, which facilitates me in helping them succeed. I now take a more reflective approach when encountering challenges.”
Tom PrinsHead of Dealflow, Aqua Spark
“It was inspirational and intimidating to be a part of this group. I learned about the importance of functional boards from serial entrepreneurs who have been through it before. A board member needs to ask a lot of difficult questions, and I am now equipped to better articulate and direct those.”
Femke MarkusPartner, Spring Associates
“It was an excellent journey to come to the realization that an effective board member is not about constantly showing “expertise and experience”. It's about asking the CEO and MT the right questions. The class really challenged us in the traditional role thinking, with a nice balance between theory and practice.”
The first Fall program (September & October) will happen on-site in Amsterdam. The second Fall program (starting in October) and the Winter program (November & December) will be blended. The 1st and 5th day are in person, and days 2, 3 and 4 are online sessions.
In between all program days you will meet with your learning circle: a peer-to-peer session where you discuss a case topic to deepen your learning. These insights will be shared plenary during the next session.
The fee for ScaleUpBoard is €4.750. exclusive VAT. Fee includes:
- 5 program days and 5 learning circles (peer-to-peer sessions to deepen your learning).
- All materials, meals and refreshment
- Certification as qualified scale-up Board Member upon completion of course work
- Access to the ScaleUpNation community of investors, advisors, researchers and ventures
The group is individually put together through a selection process to ensure that you experience the most impactful learning. Participation is therefore determined by application.
The next classes kick off in 2022:
February 10, 11 + March 11, 31 + April 1
April 21, 22 + May 27 + June 16, 17
September 15, 16 + October 7 + November 3, 4
October 13, 14 + November 11 + December 1, 2