Scale your impact as a Board Member
The number of scale-ups is expanding. Consequently, there has been an increasing demand from scale-ups for experienced advice and guidance. Are you ready to help scale-ups grow, as a board member or business coach? Do you have what it takes?
ScaleUpNation will equip you with the right tools, attitude, and mindset. Moreover, you will gain certification as a qualified scale-up board member.
5 module days + 5 learning circles (peer-to-peer sessions)
What will you learn?
Scale-ups pursue high risk, innovative strategies, and drive in the fast lane. We will teach you how to make a positive difference as a scale-up board member. During the program, you will get the latest empirical research in terms of board dynamics and operations. You’ll get concrete answers to questions like:
- How to diagnose the company’s position and operations?
- How to set and measure (new) growth objectives?
- How to help the founder in her transition to become CEO?
- How to manage the VC relationship?
- How to earn trust as a coach and advisor?
- How to anticipate looming board conflicts and mitigate these?
What are you getting into?
- What is scale-up? Success factors and failures?
- What is required to be a scale-up board member?
- Legal aspects and governance
Demystifying the Growth Engine
- It’s not about the topline
- Funding and investment schemes
- Addressing the company’s growth agenda
- Management biases
- Remuneration and incentives
- Operational decisions
- Build confidence in the CEO to think courageously challenge conventions
- Strategic leaps. Help recognize opportunities and make strategic bets
- Understand board roles across the three horizons of growth
Dealing with Headwind
- Business Intelligence and warning signals
- Acting on dilemmas and crisis
- Resilience. Provide a mirror on leadership effectiveness
Board Members have completed the training course, with many assuming roles at scale-ups post program.
“"It was an excellent journey to come to the realization that an effective board member is not about constantly showing “expertise and experience”. It's about asking the CEO and MT the right questions. The class really challenged us in the traditional role thinking, with a nice balance between theory and practice."”Femke MarkusPartner, Spring Associates
“It was inspirational and intimidating to be a part of this group. I learned about the importance of functional boards from serial entrepreneurs who have been through it before. A board member needs to ask a lot of difficult questions, and I am now equipped to better articulate and direct those.”Tom PrinsHead of Dealflow, Aqua Spark
“The group was a great mix of backgrounds, industries, corporates, scale-ups and start-ups. I now have a much better understanding of what it takes to be a board director. I understand how complex scale-ups are, which facilitates me in helping them succeed. I now take a more reflective approach when encountering challenges.”Michael HilbFounder & CEO, DBP Group
“I really enjoyed taking part of the Board Program because it helps you to get better alignment with other investors and board members. As you do a lot of peer coaching, I got good insights into their motivation plus some good feedback on our own.”Johan van MilManaging Partner, Peak Capital
Learn from advanced peers
Classes have included a diverse group of participants who bring their extensive experience and deep perspectives to share.
- You are an accomplished entrepreneur, board member, investor, business advisor, or business coach
- The group is individually put together through a selection process to ensure that you experience the most impactful learning. Participation is therefore determined by application.
The fee for ScaleUpBoard is €4.750. exclusive VAT. Fee includes:
- 5 program days and 5 learning circles (peer-to-peer sessions to deepen your learning).
- All materials, meals and refreshment
- Certification as qualified scale-up Board Member upon completion of course work
- Access to the ScaleUpNation community of investors, advisors, researchers and ventures